From a First-Generation C-1 Implant to an AB Marvel Cochlear Implant User

It's been 25 years since I first got my Advanced Bionics cochlear implant. At the time, it was groundbreaking technology that allowed me to hear and experience life in a way I never thought I could. But as technology evolved over time, and after 20 years of use, I faced an upgrade decision that would lead to a positive change in my hearing and listening journey, something I could never have expected. 

The Start of My Cochlear Implant Journey

In 2000, I received the Clarion C-1 first-generation implant from Advanced Bionics. I was implanted on my left side, along with the body-worn processor. At the time, the device was groundbreaking and the start of a technology-forward lineage with AB, which continues today. But over time, and especially with advances such as Bluetooth technology, I found my implant lacked the automatic features and performance I needed. The sound quality was more robotic than that of later-generation processors. I also had limited opportunities to upgrade my external processors because the first-generation implant did not allow that. 

Fast forward to 2010, I received the Hires 90K implant on my right side, allowing me to upgrade my external processors. I received the Harmony behind-the-ear processors on both sides at that time, then I upgraded my right side to the Naida Q90 in 2016, shortly after it was released to the public. This was the first processor from Advanced Bionics to have Bluetooth and automatic features; however, my right side is not as strong, so I did not use Bluetooth at all until much later, which I will get into later in this blog.

Struggling with Outdated Technology

There are multiple communities within the deaf and hard-of-hearing world. However, there were still times when I felt isolated – even within the Cochlear Implant community – due to a lack of opportunities to upgrade my processor. 

For instance, while I was growing up, my family and I were a part of the VOICE for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children in Ottawa, Canada. My family and I attended multiple events hosted by the organization, along with other kids who had cochlear implants. I remember once, when we were at a big indoor play structure with multiple slides, that I was the only one who wasn't allowed to go on the slides because the static from the slides could cause the processors to malfunction. I was already deep inside the play structure, and my cochlear implant friends, who all had behind-the-ear processors, had already gone into a slide. I could not simply give my processors to my family outside of the play structure. I tried to navigate through the massive structure to meet my friends at the other end of the slide.

Cochlear Implant Reimplantation – The Best Decision for Me 

"The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up." - Timothy Q Mouse, from the Disney movie, "Dumbo." This quote is so relevant to my journey because, as I grew into adulthood, I did not have high hopes for improving my hearing until I got a new implant. In 2020, I decided to get a new implant. It was the best decision because I was finally able to receive the latest generation implant, the Hires 90K Ultra 3D implant, which was the first implant that is MRI compatible. 

The best part of it all was that I could finally upgrade my external processors to help improve my listening and hearing ability over time, thanks to technological advancements and research. I received the Naída Q90 on my left side shortly after my reimplantation surgery, and I had the same processor on both sides until July 2025. Then I received the latest generation processors – AB Marvel CIs on both sides.

Receiving My AB Marvel CIs

When it was time for me to get my Marvels, my mom and I drove down to Toronto, Canada, to meet with my audiologist and switch them on for the first time. I was feeling very excited because I had waited my entire life for this moment, and an unexpected reimplantation surgery made this happen. When the audiologist first switched on my Marvels, everything sounded much clearer than with my previous processors, especially the higher-pitched sounds, such as the "sh" and "s" sounds. 

The Marvel Cochlear Implant processor and headpiece are smaller than my previous Naida Q90s, and they also come with curved batteries, which provide a snug fit over the user's ear. Before going for a motorcycle ride with my Dad, when I had the Naídas, I would slowly take out my right processor and put on the motorcycle helmet so that the left headpiece would not disconnect from the internal implant. Since the headpiece was larger, it would cut in and out during the ride. With the Marvels having a slimmer headpiece, I did not have to deal with the cutting in and outs, and I could keep my right processor on!

For bimodal users, the Marvel cochlear implants work together synchronously. For instance, when I had the Naída Q90s, I had only one Bluetooth accessory and one Roger Remote Microphone (RM) that connected to the bottom of the processor battery. When listening to music through headphones, we can hear parts of the song from the left and other parts from the right. Since the Bluetooth and RM Cochlear Implant accessories were expensive, I was able to use the RM and Bluetooth only on my stronger ear, which is my left side. So when I streamed music to my left ear with my Naida Q90s, I could only hear parts of it. When we tried the Bluetooth and RM system on the Marvel CIs, it automatically synced to both implants without needing an extra part to connect to the batteries, which I had never experienced before. When I listened to music via Bluetooth streaming with the Marvels for the first time, I gasped at new melodies and rhythms I had never clearly heard before. I was also surprised by how well the RM sounded when connected to both of my processors. It was a good thing because it was putting my weaker ear to better use and eventually improving my hearing abilities.

Experiencing the Joys of Upgraded Cochlear Implant Technology

Over time, during my therapy sessions, I was able to recognize words and sounds much faster than before. Additionally, when I was working at a daycare and wearing my Naídas, I could hear my name being called before the second or third time. Prior, coworkers would have to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention, but with the Marvels, I could immediately hear when I was needed.

The Naída Q90s had fewer automatic features than the Marvels, such as UltraZoom, which focuses on a single person even in the presence of background noise. The Marvels differ from the Naída in having many more automatic features, such as Windblock, SoundRelax, StereoZoom, and UltraZoom. When I had the Naídas, I often heard a "static" sound whenever the wind hit my processors directly, which I found annoying, especially when talking to someone outside. But now, the Marvels have a feature called Windblock, so I no longer hear the "static" sound whenever the wind is present, making it much easier to hear the environment and people talking to me outside. 

There are also five programs in the Marvels that users can choose from, which the audiologist can activate, allowing users to switch programs depending on the noise environment. They include listening in cars, music enjoyment, a program for the Aqua Case for swimming, calm situations, and AutoSense. 

Another new feature on the Marvels that I loved is that if a user takes off their processors for a while and puts them back on without changing the programs, they can hear sounds right away. With the Naídas, it took a bit of time to warm up before I could hear sounds coming through the processors. I could also switch between programs and adjust the volume using an app on my phone or the buttons on my processor. (The app is not available for Clarion, Harmony, and Naída users.)

Reflections on 25 Years of Cochlear Implant Use

I am still experimenting with the different programs on my processors and observing what works best for me, depending on my listening environment. For example, AutoSense is used to communicate with someone in front of you, even in the presence of background noise. This program automatically reduces background noise so I can hear the person talking to me better. I use the "calm" setting when I want to hear everything around me equally. I also have the music program, but I haven't used it much to pinpoint the differences from older processors, since I usually stream music wirelessly via Bluetooth. 

At the beginning of my Cochlear Implant journey, I sometimes felt hopeless and helpless regarding my listening ability. During my reimplantation and the process of getting my AB Marvel CIs, I've regained hope and been optimistic about how my hearing abilities will evolve in the future. Despite the multiple obstacles I faced, I am so grateful for the technological advancements that have improved my hearing. 


My Naida Q90s on the left and my Marvel M90 on the right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 - My Cochlear Implant and Reimplantation Experience

8 - Accepting my Deaf Identity

5 - My First Year as a Mentor: A New Outlook